Sugar or booze, whatever your poison, the Easter hangover is real. With no more public holidays to sweeten the deal for at least a few more weeks, we were starting to run dry on reasons to keep going. But thankfully, our streaming overlords at Netflix HQ have bequeathed us with another bevy of binge-worthy material. Set to drain our brains and square our eyes, the big dawg buffet of movies, series and documentaries that the streamer has unloaded this month is a bit all over the shop. From the tense new instalment to the Duffer Brothers’ sci-fi masterpiece Stranger Things to whatever the f*ck Rebel Wilson is doing back at school in Senior Year, Netflix isn’t placing all its eggs in one basket, and neither should you. Buckle up buddy, here’s what is New on Netflix in May 2022.
Best New Series on Netflix in May 2022
Stranger Things: Season 4
At long last, we’re heading back to Hawkins. For Stranger Things season four, the kids are all grown up but the problems are still the same. Mysterious creatures with extra arms and legs make an appearance and we think Hopper is still alive? It’s honestly been so long since season three, we can’t remember what happened. We just know these kids are starting to get a little old for grade school.
Release Date: 27 May 2022
The Lincoln Lawyer
No McConaughey, no problem! The iconic character made famous by arguably Texas’ second-most charming native (behind George W., of course) hits the small screen in a long-awaited adaptation of Michael Connelly’s best-selling novel series. In this new Netflix reboot, Mickey Haller runs practice out of the back of his Lincoln Town Car, taking on cases big and small across Los Angeles. Alright, alright, alright.
Release Date: 13 May 2022
Ever heard of Clark Olofsson? Us neither, but hot damn, we are excited for this one. Starring everyone’s favourite murderous clown Bill Skarsgård as the titular character, this new series dives deep into the story of Sweden’s most notorious gangster. Effortlessly cunning and a hoot to be around, the violent criminal charmed the country and gave rise to the term “Stockholm Syndrome”.
Release Date: 5 May 2022
Welcome to Eden
A sordid slice of influencing gone wrong, Welcome to Eden might be the cautionary tale we’ve been waiting for. The new Spanish drama series see Zoa and four young, attractive and social media active boys and girls invited to the most exclusive party in history. Set on a secret island and organized by the brand of a new drink, the exciting adventure starts out strong, but paradise is not really what it seems.
Release Date: 6 May 2022
Who Killed Sara: Season 3
If you haven’t tuned in to Who Killed Sara yet, you need to get on it. The Spanish crime drama follows Alex, an innocent man who after 18 years of wrongful imprisonment for the death of his sister, returns to public life. Hell-bent on revenge and desperate to find the real culprit, he hunts people down in an increasingly improbably manner. Season three looks like the most unrealistic of all, but who really cares?
Release Date: 18 May 2022
Best New Movies on Netflix in May 2022
A big-budget war film with an all-star cast? Alright, Netflix, we see what you’re doing. Set during WWII, Operation Mincemeat sees the Allies determined to launch an all-out assault on Fortress Europe, but they face an impossible challenge. With a massive invasion force from entrenched German firepower knocking at the door, two intelligence officers come up with a plan to use a corpse and false papers to avert a potential massacre. Directed by John Madden, the man behind Shakespeare in Love and Proof, the new flick stars Colin Firth, Matthew Macfayden and Jason Isaacs. This one looks every bit a winner.
Release Date: 6 May 2022
A French buddy cop flick helmed by Lupin‘s Omar Sy, The Takedown is a much-watch. A little comedy, a little action and a lot of cage-fighting for some reason, the film is a sequel to the 2012 French release De l’autre côté du périph. Once again, we see Diakité and Monge as police officers who are complete opposites, paired together to uncover an unexpectedly big criminal case.
Release Date: 6 May 2022
What might be Netflix’s stupidest idea for a film yet, Aussie Rebel Wilson stars as Stephanie Conway, a high-school cheerleader who falls into a coma before her prom. Twenty years later, she awakens and wants to return to high school to reclaim her status and become prom queen. As sh*t as that might sound, we audibly scoffed at the trailer, so that’s a plus.
Release Date: 13 May 2022
365 Days: This Day
Netflix’s runaway rape-fantasy click from 2020 returns stronger, stranger and more problematic than ever. Once again, Laura and Massimo are entrenched in a deeply convoluted romance spurred by kidnapping, however, there is a new challenge at the gates – Massimo’s family ties. Of course, the only thing this icky sex romp needed was more family time.
Release Date: 27 April 2022
New Documentaries on Netflix
Cyber Hell: Exposing an Internet Horror
A documentary coming straight out of Korea, Cyber Hell: Exposing an Internet Horror charts the incredible effort required to take down a network of online chat rooms running rampant with sex crimes. It follows the real-life case of the ‘Nth Room’, which is Korea’s worst sex crime so far. Super tough to watch, but amazing nonetheless.
Release Date: 18 May 2022
Meltdown: Three Mile Island
America’s small-scale Chornobyl, Three Mile Island is often forgotten amid the spate of national disasters, but Netflix isn’t letting it go. In this documentary, insiders recount the events, controversies and effects of the accident at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania back in 1979. The most significant accident in U.S. commercial nuclear power plant history, this event sent radioactive gases and radioactive iodine into the environment. Here, we learn how it all went so wrong.
Release Date: 4 May 2022
Sickening – that’s probably how we’d describe this one. Set to uncover the impossible story of Dr Donald Cline, a former fertility doctor who used his own sperm, instead of donation specimens, for his IVF patients, Our Father is a wild ride. When a woman’s at-home DNA test reveals multiple half-siblings, she slowly starts to unravel a massive crime that saw the former doctor father at least 50 children throughout the 1970s and ’80s. Gross.
Release Date: 11 May 2022
Hold Your Breath: The Ice Dive
Freediving is genuinely insane. The idea that a human being would put themselves through that torture just to see what they’re capable of is both terrifying and intriguing, at least, that’s what Netflix is banking on. Hold Your Breath: The Ice Dive follows freediver Johanna Nordblad as she attempts to break the world record for distance travelled under ice with one breath. Just like when we watched Free Solo, there won’t be many fingernails left after this one.
Release Date: 3 May 2022
Everything Coming to Netflix in April 2022
- The Circle: Season 4 (Rolling episodes from 04/05/2022)
- Summertime: Season 3 (04/05/2022)
- El marginal: Season 5 (04/05/2022)
- The Pentaverate (05/05/2022)
- Clark (05/05/2022)
- Blood Sisters (05/05/2022)
- Welcome to Eden (06/05/2022)
- The Sound of Magic (06/05/2022)
- Workin’ Moms: Season 6 (10/05/2022)
- Brotherhood: Season 2 (11/05/2022)
- 42 Days of Darkness (11/05/2022)
- Savage Beauty (12/05/2022)
- The Life and Movies of Erşan Kuneri (13/05/2022)
- The Lincoln Lawyer (13/05/2022)
- Bling Empire: Season 2 (13/05/2022)
- New Heights (13/05/2022)
- The Future Diary: Season 2 (Rolling episodes from 17/05/2022)
- Who Killed Sara?: Season 3 (18/05/2022)
- Love on the Spectrum U.S. (18/05/2022)
- Insiders: Season 2 (Rolling episodes from 19/05/2022)
- Love, Death & Robots: Volume 3 (20/05/2022)
- Wrong Side of the Tracks (20/05/2022)
- Somebody Feed Phil: Season 5 (25/05/2022)
- Stranger Things 4: Volume 1 (27/05/2022)
- Welcome to Wedding Hell (Coming Soon)
- 40 Years Young (04/05/2022)
- Thar (06/05/2022)
- The Takedown (06/05/2022)
- Along for the Ride (06/05/2022)
- Marmaduke (06/05/2022)
- The Getaway King (11/05/2022)
- Senior Year (13/05/2022)
- The Perfect Family (18/05/2022)
- Toscana (18/05/2022)
- A Perfect Pairing (19/05/2022)
- F*ck Love Too (20/05/2022)
- Godspeed (23/05/2022)
- Larva Pendant (25/05/2022)
- Christina P: Mom Genes (08/05/2022)
- Rodrigo Sant’Anna: I’ve Arrived (19/05/2022)
- Hold Your Breath: The Ice Dive (03/05/2022)
- Meltdown: Three Mile Island (04/05/2022)
- Wild Babies (05/05/2022)
- Our Father (11/05/2022)
- Cyber Hell: Exposing an Internet Horror (18/05/2022)
- The G Word with Adam Conover (19/05/2022)
- The Photographer: Murder in Pinamar (19/05/2022)
- Octonauts: Above & Beyond: Season 2 (02/05/2022)
- The Boss Baby: Back in the Crib (19/05/2022)
- Sea of Love (23/05/2022)
- My Little Pony: Make Your Mark (26/05/2022)
- Mighty Little Bheem: I Love Taj Mahal (30/05/2022)
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Sustainable War (09/05/2022)
- Vampire in the Garden (16/05/2022)
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045: Season 2 (23/05/2022)
- Townsmen – A Kingdom Rebuilt (Coming Soon)
- Dragon Up (Coming Soon)
- Moonlighter (Coming Soon)
- Exploding Kittens – The Game (Coming Soon)
- Star Trek Beyond (02/05/2022)
- The Suicide Squad (03/05/2022)
- The Cup (12/05/2022)
- The Nightingale (15/05/2022)
- Reminiscence (17/05/2022)
What new movies are coming to Netflix in May 2022?
There are a number of new films coming to Netflix in May 2022. These include: 40 Years Young, Thar, The Takedown, Senior Year, A Perfect Pairing, F*ck Love Too, and Godspeed.
What new series are coming to Netflix in May 2022?
Known for its originals, Netflix is home to some great series. In May 2022, Netflix is adding: The Circle Season 4, Clark, Welcome to Eden, The Sound of Magic, 42 Days of Darkness, The Lincoln Lawyer, Stranger Things: Season 4, Somebody Feed Phil: Season 5 and Love, Death & Robots
What new documentaries are coming to Netflix in May 2022?
There are a bunch of new documentaries coming to Netflix in May 2022. These include: Hold Your Breath: The Ice Dive, Meltdown: Three Mile Island, Wild Babies, Our Father, Cyber Hell: Exposing an Internet Horror, and The G Word with Adam Conover.