It’s safe to say that lifestyle site GoodFood knows a thing or two about good food. Naturally, they didn’t let us down when unveiling their list of Melbourne’s Top 50 Cafes of 2016. We saw familiar entries that satiated our cravings in past times of hunger, and then some new names that we quickly threw onto our annual taste bud bucket list. Based on what our memories and palates could recall, we highlighted 10 choice favourites for your interest and then listed out the remaining 40 so you may never go dissatisfied again.
The delightful offspring of South Melbourne favourite Giddiup, Wynyard brings a fresh perspective to breakfast goodies and seasonal lunchtime classics. While the menu sways the full spectrum from healthy to indulgent, we say ditch the calorie calculator and try the pork belly and avocado tortillas.
1 Wynyard Street, South Melbourne VIC 3205
Tucked down an alley and behind an inconspicuous door resides one of Melbourne’s best artisanal coffee joints, which is saying a lot because Melbourne knows great coffee (and how to hide excellent food and drink locales while we’re at it). The vibe is industrial, the clientele is loyal, the coffee is top rate and the food is deliciously inventive. There’s simply no reason not to visit this hidden gem.
12-18 Yarra Place, South Melbourne VIC 3205
Shortstop Coffee and Donuts
Mmmm…donuts…so yummy, so addictive. And simply perfect for dunking in a hot cup of fresh joe. Shortstop knows what the Homer Simpson inside us all is craving and they deliver it in spades, crafting artisanal donuts and brewing exceptional coffee. Binge on their many wondrous creations and make up for it at the gym later.
12 Sutherland Street, Melbourne CBD VIC 3000
The Kettle Black
The majestic Kettle Black is all about beauty. The restaurant flaunts ambient beauty through its all-white Victorian-era dwellings and then digestible beauty with its marvellous coffee drinks and unforgettable cuisine. Just don’t blame the kitchen if your dish goes cold because you took so long staring at it before taking your first bite.
50 Albert Road, South Melbourne VIC 3205
This sleek and modern destination is firing on all cylinders with unbeatable service, incredible food and the best coffee for miles. The Diplomat raises the bar on breakfast and lunch in the Highett area and it’s probably just a matter of time before a few more quality locales pop up in its wake.
4 Railway Parade, Highett VIC 3190
Bawa elevates simplicity with hearty, modern fare, fresh juice and strong coffee. The vibe here is sunny and breezy and the service is swift. Bring your appetite and forget what hunger feels like by the time you leave.
248 Burwood Road, Hawthorn VIC 3122
Glovers Station is all about comfort. The converted garage space is clean and open and brimming with light. The food is seasonal and filling and the smell of Dukes coffee is always wafting in the air. Glovers Station is in fact so committed to comfort they even want to put your conscience at ease by shopping locally for the best and most sustainable ingredients.
258 Glen Eira Road, Elsternwick VIC 3185
Jack B Nimble
American southern cooking is infused with a little Asian flair to wonderful results at this new Maidstone neighbourhood eatery. Its space is inviting and the food is delectable and Instagram-ready. Jack B Nimble and you should be quick to hit them up if and when you’re in the area (sorry, we couldn’t help ourselves).
132 Mitchell Street, Maidstone VIC 3012
With a name that already sounds like the best friend you didn’t know you had, Barry welcomes your open stomach with open arms and puts a tasty twist on familiar classics like benedict eggs and avocado smash. If you’re ready to get the weekend started in style, order the house Bloody Mary, which comes with a slab of jerky. Now we’re talking.
85 High Street, Northcote VIC 3070
Little Tommy Tucker
Little Tommy Tucker is a modest, immensely popular café that’s divinely clean and known for an eclectic, flavorful menu. The sublime space is complemented by equally marvellous dish presentation that’s always served with a smile.
432 Centre Road, Bentleigh VIC 3204
Here are the remaining 40 cafes (in no particular order):
- Capeside Coffee – 119 Cape Street, Heidelberg – capesidecoffee.com
- Auction Rooms – 103-107 Errol Street, North Melbourne – auctionroomscafe.com.au
- Pope Joan – 77-79 Nicholson Street, Brunswick East – popejoan.com.au
- Second Home – 21 Brougham Street, Eltham – secondhomeeltham.com.au
- Wide Open Road – 274 Barkly Street, Brunswick – wideopenroad.com.au
- East Elevation – 351 Lygon Street, Brunswick East – eastelevation.com.au
- Mine-no-ie – 33 Peel Street, Collingwood – minanoie.com
- Short Round – 731 High Street, Thornbury – shortround.com.au
- Everyday Coffee – 33 Johnston Street, Collingwood – everyday-coffee.com
- Hammer & Tong – 412 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy – hammerandtong.com.au
- Industry Beans – Warehouse 3, 62 Rose Street, Fitzroy – industrybeans.com
- Aucuba Coffee Roasters – 108 Bank Street, South Melbourne – aucubacoffee.com
- Bluff Town – 34 Station Street, Sandringham – blufftown.com.au
- Finn – 124 Carlisle Street, St Kilda
- Hendriks Café – 105-107 White Street, Mordialloc – hendrikscafe.com.au
- Monk Bodhi Dharma – 202 Carlisle Street, Balaclava – monkbodhidharma.com.au
- Two Birds One Stone – 12 Claremont Street, South Yarra – twobirdsonestonecafe.com.au
- Admiral Cheng Ho – 325 Johnston Street, Abbotsford – admiralchengho.com.au
- Axil Coffee Roasters – 322 Burwood Road, Hawthorn – axilcoffee.com.au
- Little Chloe – 1810 Malvern Road, Malvern East – littlechloe.com.au
- Mammoth – 736 Malvern Road, Armadale – eatmammoth.com
- Mayday Coffee & Food – 410 Bridge Road, Richmond
- Our Kitchenette – 217 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn East – ourkitchenette.com.au
- Square & Compass – 222 Clarendon Street, East Melbourne – squareandcompass.com.au
- Three Bags Full – 60 Nicholson Street, Abbotsford – threebagsfullcafe.com.au
- Top Paddock – 658 Church Street, Richmond – toppaddockcafe.com
- Touchwood – 480 Bridge Road, Richmond – touchwoodcafe.com
- Brother Nancy – 182 Essex Street, West Footscray
- Cobb Lane – 13 Anderson Street, Yarraville – cobblane.com.au
- Common Galaxia – Shop 3, 130 Victoria Street, Seddon – commongalaxia.com.au
- Corinthians – 37 Old Geelong Road, Hoppers Crossing
- The Premises – 202 Bellair Street, Kensington
- Rudimentary – 16-20 Leeds Street, Footscray – rudimentary.com.au
- Wolf & Hound – 60 Pin Oak Crescent, Flemington – woldandhoundcafe.com.au
- Dukes Coffee Roasters – 247 Flinders Lane, Melbourne – dukescoffee.com.au
- The Hardware Societe – 120 Hardware Street, Melbourne
- Manchester Press – 8 Rankins Lane, Melbourne
- Market Lane – 8 Collins Street, Melbourne – marketlane.com.au
- Rustica Canteen – 33 Guildford Lane, Melbourne – rusticacanteen.com
- Traveller Coffee – Shop 2, 14 Crossley Street, Melbourne – sevenseeds.com.au