True to its name, the American Express Explorer Card invokes the spirit of travel and adventure. As such, it’s the perfect card for modern Aussies, many of whom take to the friendly skies on a regular basis. And while owning this sleek piece of plastic will cost you $395 per year, there’s an immediate Travel Credit of $400 to make up for it.
That’s not to mention the 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points given to new cardmembers who apply online, are approved, and use the card to spend $3,000 within the first three months. Of course, a substantial credit and whopping amount of bonus points are just two among the numerous perks delivered by the American Express Explorer Card. Click here to apply.
No self-respecting cardholder argues with rewards points and the American Express Explorer Card dishes them out in spades. New card members who apply online, are approved, and spend $3,000 within the first three months will receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points right off the bat.
As part of the Membership Rewards Gateway program, you’ll also earn two points per every $1 spent on purchases except for government bodies in Australia, where you’ll earn 1 point per every $1 spent. Because there’s no cap on earn rate, the more you spend, the more you get in return. This all applies regardless of how much you spend per month. Meanwhile, you can rack up those points even faster by adding four additional cards for family members or friends at no extra fee.
When it comes to using your Membership Rewards Points, you have some options. For instance, you can use the points to pay off charges on your statement by way of Select + Pay with points. You can also transfer your points to one of 9 Airline Partner Programs, including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines.
Generous Travel Perks
Australians are avid travellers and that makes the American Express Explorer Card a brilliant choice in these parts. Upon being approved and paying the annual fee, you’ll receive a $400 Travel Credit each year to use on eligible flights, hotels, experiences, or car hires that you book and pay for through American Express Travel. Just a friendly reminder: the $400 Travel Credit alone makes up for the $395 annual fee and then some.
Speaking of credits, if you book two consecutive nights’ stay at a property that’s part of The Hotel Collection, you’ll get a room upgrade (when available) and a hotel credit up to US$100. Again, the built-in annual fee more than pays for itself, presuming you partake in the occasional adventure and use your Explorer Card in the process.
American Express Explorer Card Members will also receive two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, which is located at either Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport. Take it from us: staying in a lounge instead of a gate while waiting for your flight makes all the difference in the world.
The last thing anyone wants to deal with while travelling abroad is an unforeseen complication and adjoining cost. With the Explorer Card at your disposal, you have a lot less to worry about.
Use the card to pay for travel and you’ll receive instant and extensive protection for you, your partner, and your dependent children. That includes up to $2,500,000 coverage towards medical treatment, up to $30,000 coverage for cancellations, up to $10,000 coverage for loss or damage, and up to $500 coverage for inconveniences such as flight delays of four hours or more.
In addition to bonus points, credits, and travel insurance, the American Express Explorer Card offers complimentary smartphone screen insurance up to $500, as long as you pay for your phone or contract using your Explorer Credit Card.
While on the subject of sweet perks, new Card Members receive 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months (a one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies). If the O’Jay’s song “For the Love of Money” (money money money money money…money!) wasn’t playing in your head already, it should be by now.
The benefits keep piling in. For instance, when you purchase eligible items with your American Express Explorer Credit Card, you can extend the manufacturer’s warranty by up to 12 months. Then there’s Purchase Protection, which covers you in the case of loss or damaged items bought using your Explorer Card. Along similar lines, Refund Protection covers you when a store refuses to accept the return of a recent, unused purchase (made on the Explorer Card). Last, but not least, Online Fraud Protection Guarantee has you covered when unauthorised charges are made without your knowledge.
American Express Explorer Credit Card Overview
American Express wants you to experience worlds near and far, and the Explorer Card is one veritable way to do it. Applying takes less than 10 minutes and the company may get back to you in less than 60 seconds. To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have an annual income of $65,000 or more
- Agree to access your statements online through American Express
- Be aged 18 years or over
- Have no history of bad debt or payment default
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or hold a current Business Long Stay Visa (subclass 457)
In exchange, you’ll receive the following benefits:
- 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points for new Card Members only when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new card – this offer is available to new Card Members only
- $400 Travel Credit each year you use the card
- Two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months (a one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies) – T&Cs apply
- 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent on purchases except government bodies in Australia, where you’ll earn 1 point per $1 spent
- No cap on earn rate.
- Ability to transfer your points to a choice of 9 Airline Partner Programs
- Ability to use your points to pay charges on your statement with Select + Pay with points
- Earn points faster with up to 4 Additional Cards for family members or friends for no extra fee
- Book two consecutive nights’ stay and enjoy a hotel credit up to US$100 and a room upgrade (when available) at properties that are part of The Hotel Collection
- Up to $2,500,000 towards medical treatment when you pay for travel using your Explorer Card.
- Up to $30,000 of coverage in the event your travel is cancelled for specific reasons when you pay for travel using your Explorer Card
- Up to $10,000 to cover loss or damage to baggage, money or documents when you pay for travel using your Explorer Card
- Up to $500 if your flight departure is delayed for four hours or more when you pay for travel using your Explorer Card
- Extend your manufacturer’s warranty by up to 12 months on eligible items purchased with your Explorer Card
- Purchase Protection when new items (that were purchased with the Explorer Card) are stolen or damaged
- Refund Protection when a store refuses to accept the return of a recent, unused purchase (made using your Explorer Card).
- Smartphone Screen Insurance up to $500 for screen repairs if you accidentally break your Smartphone screen (a 10% excess per claim with a maximum of 2 claims every 12 months, and a waiting period may apply)
- Online Fraud Protection Guarantee
- Eligibility for use with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay