On the 30th of April 2018, United Airlines opened its brand new United Polaris lounge in the San Francisco Airport International Terminal with the aim of providing its customers with the ability to relax, recharge and engage.
Inspired by the City by the Bay itself, everything about the 2,600 square metre, two-storey lounge was thoughtfully curated to pay tribute to the beautiful San Francisco city. Upon a recent visit to San Fran, thanks to United, we got to experience the lounge first hand and it was instantly clear why this space with mesmerising views of the tarmac has won the most coveted award of all; Best Business Class Lounge in the World by the 2019 World Airline Awards from Skytrax.
How does one win this award you might ask? Well, it sure is no easy feat. Other than boasting outstanding facilities, you also have to convince millions of airline customers from all over the world that your lounge truly is the best on planet earth. In the latest 2019 World Airline Awards for example, more than 21 million people voted in this study–that is both independent and impartial—to have their say.
So what makes the United Polaris Lounge at SFO so special?
- A two-storey, 2600-square-metre (28,120-square-foot) space
- Unobstructed views of the airport tarmac
- Subtle mood lighting
- A wellness room is available for nursing
- Four Sleep/Quiet suites are available that allows you to take 45-minute naps equipped with linen from Saks Fifth Avenue.
- A laundry service that can have your clothes cleaned and pressed in a flash
- A shoeshine service
- Eight luxurious shower suites stocked with Sunday Riley products
- Phone and work booths
- Large privacy dividers with your own side-lamp
- All gender bathrooms (the first airline to introduce all-gender bathrooms)
- Various different lounge and seating areas with space to seat 358 guests
- A full-service premium bar
- A buffet service as well as a sit-down dinner restaurant with a mouth-watering gourmet menu and premium beverage selection including cocktails
- All-round rest & relaxation made easy
Upon winning the esteemed award, Mark Krolick, United’s vice president of marketing commented “Our customers are telling us that the Polaris lounges are a game-changer in providing modern, tranquil spaces to relax, recharge and enjoy top-notch food and drinks. The entire Polaris experience begins in the lounge, which is why we’ve placed so much emphasis on getting it right. Being honoured with this award is a testament to our revolutionary efforts to continue to exceed our customers’ high expectations.”
The whole experience from arriving at the airport to landing at your destination is designed to be a journey of utmost tranquillity, and easy. The same can be said about all their lounges, including the United Polaris Lounges at Chicago O’Hare International Airport, Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Newark Liberty International Airport and most recently, Los Angeles International Airport.
“Polaris lounges have impressed customers from the first unveiling in 2016 and have grown in popularity amongst international air travellers year-on-year,” said Edward Plaisted, Chief Executive Officer of Skytrax. “This global recognition is a top seal of approval for the staff and management involved in delivering the Polaris lounge concept, and they should be rightly proud of a truly world-class facility.”
Well said Edward, well said.