Not content with simply unveiling the new iPad Pro, Apple steamed on through, dropping another major announcement today. The tech icon showed off a new MacBook Air that reportedly boasts twice the storage and twice the speed of performance than that of previous generations. According to Apple, an 80 per cent jump in graphics performance is set to streamline operations for users, particularly when it comes to gaming. The latest MacBook Air features 256GB of storage, a 13-inch Retina display for vivid images and sharp text, Touch ID for easy login and secure online purchases, intuitive trackpad, and all-day battery life combined with the power of macOS Catalina.
“From students and consumers buying their first computer to customers looking to upgrade, everyone loves the Mac, and they especially love MacBook Air. Today we’re giving it a huge update, with two times faster performance, the new Magic Keyboard, double the storage, a new lower price of RRP A$1,599 inc. GST and an even lower price of RRP A$1,439 inc. GST for education,” said Tom Boger, Apple’s senior director of Mac and iPad product marketing.
Under the hood, the 2020 MacBook Air has copped some serious firepower. Offering quad-core processors for the first time, this version also boasts the new 10th-generation Intel Core processors up to 1.2GHz quad-core Core i7 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.8GHz. That’s set to deliver up to two times faster performance when compared to the previous generation. Pair that with the Magic Keyboard, first introduced on the 16-inch MacBook Pro, and you’ve got yourself one souped-up slimline device.
Apple fans will also enjoy;
- A three-mic array for more clear voice capture for FaceTime calls with friends and family.
- A Force Touch trackpad for precise cursor control and multi-touch navigation.
- Thunderbolt 3 ports for data transfer, charging and video output in a single connector.
- Support for up to a 6K external display, a first for MacBook Air.
- Advanced stereo speakers for immersive, wide stereo sound for activities like watching Apple TV+ content or playing games in Apple Arcade.
MacBook Air comes in three finishes — gold, silver and space grey, and comes with macOS Catalina, the latest OS from Apple. The 2020 MacBook Air is available to order now, and is priced at $1,599, or $1,439 for education.