When your reputation is built on 175 years of whisky-making mastery, it should come as no surprise when you try something a little novel and the final result is nothing short of a triumph. So it is with Glemorangie’s limited-edition A Tale of the Forest, the first whisky the iconic distillery has ever crafted from barley kilned with woodland botanicals, producing an entirely singular experience that transports your senses to the serenity of a Scottish woodland.
What’s more, you can embark upon this enriching journey of delicious and wonderful flavours for yourself by attending one of two bookable fine dining events with whisky pairings – the first in Melbourne and the second in Sydney. Read on to discover how you can secure your seat at one of these unmissable evenings
The Spirit of the Woodland
You never know when inspiration will strike. For Dr. Bill Lumsden, Glenmorangie’s director of Whisky Creation, it was a stroll through the woodland located near his home that proved fortuitous for his next bold venture. The olfactory qualities of the forest triggered rumination on what a whisky that captured the wonder of such surrounds might be like. Already renowned for his “What if…?” approach to whisky,
Dr. Bill recalled how ancient Highland whisky makers had dried their barley with all kinds of forest fuel. He started flavour experiments by kilning his barley with a wide range of botanicals, finally narrowing his search to three ingredients that perfectly embodied his local woodlands.
“Every time I go into the woods where I live, I notice something new, be it the fragrance of last night’s rainfall or the sound of leaves rustling a particular way,” Dr. Bill explains. “I began to imagine how we could bring the forest to life in a whisky, by kilning barley with materials from woodland, the way our ancestors did. After many experiments, we decided on juniper, birch bark and heather, which would traditionally have been used in the kilning process, to create a Glenmorangie as lush and leafy as the forest itself.”
This unconventional approach resulted in a spirit batch in possession of a unique blend of aromas, including pine needles and the aforementioned juniper with winding wisps of smoke. Dr. Bill then took this and aged it in bourbon casks allowing the spirit’s flavours to blossom, resulting in a whisky entirely unlike any other. According to its maker, A Tale of the Forest “is a whisky to surround, delight and surprise you, whether you’re enjoying it outdoors or at home.”
A Work of Art Inside & Out
In order to ensure A Tale of the Forest’s label and packaging would be as unique as the whisky it envelopes, the Glenmorangie team partnered with Thai illustrator Pomme Chan, who crafted a design that perfectly echoed Dr. Bill’s vision. Wandering into her favourite forest in northern Thailand, she started to draw, calling on inspiration from her surroundings and conversations she’d had with Dr. Bill about Scotland. The result was an illustration that captures the mystery and wonder of the forest – you can almost smell the heather blossoms and juniper, with a hint of orange and pine cone from the moment you lay eyes upon it.
“To me, a forest is all about the senses – the fragrance, as well as what you see and hear,” Pomme reveals. “Through my illustration, I wanted to convey the mysterious depth of the forest as well as the botanicals and flavours you can find in the whisky: heather, juniper, orange mint… I hope the pack draws people in and invites them to imagine themselves enjoying Glenmorangie A Tale of the Forest on a hike or a picnic… in a forest, of course!”
Your Ticket to the Forest
If you’d like to experience all the wonder of A Tale of the Forest for yourself, along with the undeniable deliciousness of the broader Glenmorangie range, you have two opportunities to do so.
Bar Jayda, Melbourne | 16 August
The first event will take place in Melbourne’s elegant Bar Jayda, where it will be hosted by Glenmorangie brand ambassador Kurtis Bosley. Upon arrival, guests will enjoy canapes served with a delicious Glenmorangie Original cocktail, followed by a lavish five-course menu. Each of these courses will consist of an unforgettable Glenmorangie expression, served alongside a selection of culinary delights as follows…
- First course – paired with The Original 10 Years Old: Poached marron, pancetta, jerusalem artichoke, truffle, baharat crème, white raisin ravioli
- Second course – paired with The Nectar D’or: John Dory, butter roasted almonds & pine mushrooms, scallop, tarragon, parsley
- Third course – paired with Glenmorangie 18 Years Old: Mount Macedon dry aged duck, potato rose burek, pumpkin & ras el hanout jus
- Fourth course – paired with A Tale of the Forest: Dry aged grass fed O’Connor’s sirloin on the bone, sweet onion and cumin butter, Lebanese garlic dumplings, sujuk and pine nuts, Tahini and celeriac
- Dessert – paired with Glenmorangie Signet: Peanut butter “baklava” black truffle ice cream, tahini caramel, cinnamon smoked honey espuma
Tickets to this exclusive, once-in-a-lifetime event can be secured via the link below for AUD$380.
Bar M, Sydney | 24 August
The second opportunity to experience A Tale of the Forest will be held at Sydney’s Bar M on August 24. Again, guests will be guided through a sensory immersion by Brand Ambassador Kurtis Bosley where guests will enjoy Glenmorangie’s award-winning expressions alongside the following tour de force menu.
- First course – paired with Original 10 Years Old: Seared yellowfin tuna, semi-dried cherry tomatoes, crispy garlic, caramelised baby onion, EVOO lemon dressing
- Second course – paired with A Tale of the Forest: Handmade ravioli with slow-cooked duck ragu, porcini mushrooms, noisette butter and Manjimup black truffle
- Third course – paired with The Wildwood Sour (A Tale of the Forest, strawberry gum-infused orange liqueur, Australian native blueberry syrup and citrus): Rack of lamb served with Glenmorangie The Original 10 Years Old reduction jus, fresh peas with mint, and sautéed cavolo nero with roasted pine nuts.
- Dessert – paired with Glenmorangie 18 Years Old: Neapolitan Baba – baba infused with Glenmorangie 14 Year Old Quinta Ruban and rosehip, served with vanilla Chantilly cream and blackberry coulis.
Tickets to take part in this incredible opportunity can be secured via the link below for AUD$200.
Whether you’re located in Melbourne or Sydney, the chance to experience A Tale of the Forest in this way is one you won’t soon forget. For everyone else, be sure to secure your very own limited-edition bottle of Glenmorangie’s A Tale of the Forest via the link below or from your local specialist liquor store from August 1st. Whether you’re a Glenmorangie aficionado or looking to further your exploration of an incredible spirit, this is an astounding whisky that speaks to the incomparable craftsmanship of Dr Bill and the Glenmorangie team. It’s simply not to be missed.