Lifestyle expert Aaron Marino is back with another alpha m. gem of a video, this time on how to be more likable. We’ve never met someone who doesn’t aspire to be likable. It’s something that people constantly worry about, often to the point of trying too hard to achieve it and invariably screwing it up. In the above video, Aaron gives you 7 simple tips on how to be more likable without resorting to overkill. And just to get something out of the way: neither Aaron nor we are saying you are not likable to begin with. After all, you might be a different person behind closed doors than you are in public. The emphasis here is on behaviour patterns that you can adopt and sustain when in the presence of others so that they might respond to you in a more positive manner.
Here are 7 tips on how to be more likable:
- A Positive Attitude – Scientific studies have shown that people who maintain and exhibit positive outlooks on life are more likable, and who are we (or you) to argue with science?
- Be Engaged and Passionate – We are drawn to passionate humans and the more energy you exude, the more others will be drawn to you. But there’s also such a thing as too much energy and that’s where likability turns into creepiness. In other words, be engaged and passionate, but don’t overdo it because that’s when you become insufferable.
- Sense of Humour – It is imperative that you learn to laugh at yourself, which is far more likable than the common practice of laughing at others.
- Control Your Insecurities – No one wants to be around the person who’s always second-guessing himself. Try to go with the flow and keep those anxieties and insecurities in check. In other words: be confident.
- Be a Good Listener – Nod. Engage. Put away the phone. Show them you’re listening and they will notice. This one pointer is in and of itself a master class on how to be more likable.
- Be Humble – No one likes a showoff, but you knew that already because you don’t like showoffs.
- Compliment Others – Have you ever heard the expression “flattery will get you everywhere”? Turns out it’s true. Use it as a tool and you are learning how to be more likable.
The overall takeaway is that if you’re engaged, passionate, complimentary, modest and a little self-deprecating then people will respond to you and also go around telling others how awesome you are. It’s called being likable. Try it some time.