This one goes out to all the wavy and curly-haired men out there. You know who you are, you curly-haired boys and men, with your flowing waves and healthy follicles. Your prestigious club features a bevy of famous members, including everyone from Kit Harington to Bradley Cooper. And if their ever-changing haircuts are anything to go by, you definitely have your options. Lots and lots of options.
First and foremost: with great curls comes great responsibility. As such, the curly or wavy haircut for men is not one that should be left to chance. In other words, don’t just wake up in the morning and walk out the door, assuming that your curly or wavy hair will take on a natural, messy look. Well, it will take on a natural, messy look, but not the kind you or anyone else is hoping for.
Nor should you go into the barber and put all the power in his or her hands, because you just never know what you’ll end up with. We mean, have you seen what some guys are doing with their curly hair these days? Yikes is all we can say about it, unless you’re one of those guys and you happen to be reading this article, in which we’d like to commend you for your bold and avant-garde men’s hair. It’s…eccentric.
Where are we going with all this, you might ask? To 50+ curly haircuts and hairstyle tips for men, of course. And by “curly” we mean both curly and wavy men’s hair, as the two styles have plenty in common. However, before we dive into a veritable bounty of choice pictures, let’s go over the curly hairstyle basics such as maintenance tips and popular haircuts.
Men’s Curly Hairstyle Maintenance Tips and Tricks
Ahhhh, the gift and curse of men’s curly or wavy hair. A signifier of youth and vitality, it can also be a total grievance to groom or maintain. Thankfully, there are a few tips and tricks that will help ease the burden of your daily regimen. That’s right, gentlemen, we said daily regimen. Don’t slouch.
Most of these tips apply to thick, thin, short, and long curly hairstyles alike, though some will favour specific men’s hair types over others. Don’t grow out your curly men’s hair until you’ve mastered the most important ones. And if you’re looking for more pointers, be sure to scope our respective articles on short men’s haircuts and long men’s haircuts.
Here are some men’s curly hairstyle maintenance tips and tricks:
- Routinely apply sea salt spray or a similar moisturiser to your curly or wavy men’s hair. This will help keep the volume rich and full and, furthermore, prevent the curly hair itself from drying out.
- Do not over-shampoo your hair. Instead, shampoo once every 2-3 days and incorporate a moisturising conditioner as well. This combination will keep your curly men’s hair moisturised and healthy. All the while, you’re avoiding dryness, damage from over-washing, and frayed ends.
- Avoid the overuse of dry matte hair products like clay, wax, pastes, pomades, and creams. To be clear: we’re not saying you shouldn’t make these products part of your grooming routine, just that you shouldn’t overdo it. That’s because too much use can poof out the curly or wavy hair, cutting down on manageability and definition.
- If you’re aiming for a shorter, tighter style, then apply a matte-finish product at the roots of your curly hair. Be sure to do it when the hair is still moist.
- If you have thick, wavy, or curly men’s hair that’s hard to manage, find a barber who can tactfully chop away some underlying locks without hindering the overall aesthetic. The result is a men’s curly or wavy hairstyle that’s formidable, but still controllable.
- Request that your barber point cuts the ends instead of cutting a straight line. The former evokes softness while the latter creates a hard-edged vibe.
- Be aware that a good barber who knows his way around a curly men’s haircut is somewhat hard to find!
7 Men’s Curly Hairstyles Explained
The more you know about your curly or wavy men’s hair, the better you’ll be able to sculpt it to your liking. As we mentioned before, your barber can only do so much. This isn’t a buzz cut, after all—you want to let those curls shine. And while there’s a full slate of curly or wavy hairstyles to choose from, you can never go wrong with one of the following seven haircuts. Let’s break each one down.
Wavy Slicked Back
If you’ve watched Bradley Cooper in movies like “Limitless” or “A Star is Born”, then you’ve already seen the slicked-back wavy hairstyle in action. This one is somewhat effortless to pull off, presuming you have long and wavy men’s hair, as well as the right tools.
By “tools” we mean the following: fingers and pomade (or something similar). See? We told you this would be easy. That said, the wavy slicked back look is harder (though not impossible) to pull off if you possess coiled curly hair or kinky curly hair. In this scenario, finding the right hair product will prove essential.
To achieve the wavy slicked back hairstyle, you should make sure your hair is damp. The next move is to squeeze some pomade into your hand and then stroke your fingers through your hair. Upon landing on your desired style, let the product settle and then go about your day. If something feels amiss, try a different product until you’ve found the right match. Prepare to look sharp!
Beachy Waves or Curls
Beachy men’s curls are tougher to cultivate but well worth the effort, especially if you want to look like a modern-day rock god. As you can probably guess: healthy and naturally lustrous hair is mandatory.
Use products such as sea salt hairspray to get those waves or curls flowing, and to keep the hair from drying out. The resulting hairstyle brilliantly walks the line between unkempt and purposeful. Pull it off and you’ll be a legend.
The Wavy Quiff
The wavy quiff for men—also known as the curly quiff—looks exactly as it sounds. It’s highlighted by a voluminous, upward-facing poof at the front of the top hair, which recedes in volume as it goes toward the back, and comes flanked by shorter sides.
If you have naturally thick or wavy men’s hair, there might be some trial and error before you master this popular look. According to some experts, your best bet is to blow-dry the hair while lifting it up and back with a brush, followed by a light application of pomade.
Other experts advise against the blow-dry method because it can dry out or overpower the natural tenants of your wavy hair. Trial and error, indeed.
Curly Side Part
Some haircuts never go out of style and the curly side part is one of them. Nevertheless, there’s something kind of radical about this particular men’s hairstyle, even if it has nearly a century’s worth of history behind it. For the most contemporary take, keep your hair short on the sides and longer on top.
We’re pretty sure you know what to do from there, but to be on the safe side we’ll remind you to part the hair on top to one side. Bam. Side part. A quick word of advice: figure out which direction your curly hair naturally grows in and then part it accordingly. This one puts those handsome curly or wavy locks on full display.
Hotter now than ever before, the wavy undercut surrounds an island of killer locks with a short-length cut on all sides. Cultivate a pompadour or quiff at the crown or go your own way based on the natural qualities of your wavy men’s hair. Pull this off and you’ll be drawing the right kind of looks every time you walk out the door. It’s a wavy haircut for men that no one argues with.
The Wavy Fringe
For men with relaxed wavy or curly bangs, consider the wavy fringe. It works best when you retain most of your hair length at the top, employing either a high or low fade on your back and sides. The resulting aesthetic falls somewhere between bohemian and casual. Whether or not that describes you is something only you can decide.
As for styling, use mousse on damp hair and scrunch your wavy fringe at the top, giving it volume and a slightly messy appearance. Keep everything in place by way of a light hair spray, adding a texturing product if you want more texture.
Windswept Wavy Bangs
The name alone sounds romantic and the look follows suit. However, don’t take that to mean windswept wavy bangs can’t emanate with masculine allure. It’s all about bringing out the style, volume, and texture of your wavy men’s hair and medium-long bangs, and then seeing where that takes you.
Success is critical when striving for this look, so visit your barber to get it just right. If the barber knows what he’s doing, he’ll cut your hair in layers to lower the weight and keep the volume and texture intact. When styling at home, you should scrunch your damp waves as your hair dries, using a texturing product to hold everything in place.
Needless to say, a fair amount of time, patience, and dedication are required for this wavy men’s hairstyle. But it’s worth it.
Best Products for Men’s Curly Hair
When it comes to curly or wavy hair for men, products matter. Here are some grooming essentials that will help you nourish, style, and sculpt that curly or wavy hair to perfection. Featured on the list are mousses, gels, shampoos, moisturisers, pomades, waxes, clays, and sprays. Use them wisely.
- Pureology Hydrate Conditioner – Buy it here
- 10 Haircare Miracle Leave-In Product – Buy it here
- American Crew Moisturizing Shampoo – Buy it here
- Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel – Buy it here
- Royal Locks Curl Cream Gel – Buy it here
- Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie – Buy it here
- Redken Cream Serum – Buy it here
- Living Proof No Frizz Nourishing Cream – Buy it here
- Smooth Viking Hydrating Fiber Cream – Buy it here
- Layrite Natural Matte Cream – Buy it here
- Byrd Texturizing Surf Spray – Buy it here
- Beauty By Earth Texturizing Sea Salt Spray – Buy it here
- Baxter of California Clay Pomade – Buy it here
- Suavecito Firm Hold Pomade – Buy it here
- Cantu Shea Butter Cream Pomade – Buy it here
- Design Essentials Natural Curl Enhancing Mousse – Buy it here
- Kenra Extra Volume – Buy it here
- TIGI Bed Head Workable Hair Wax – Buy it here
50+ Men’s Long Haircut Inspiration & Pictures
At long last, the moment you’ve been waiting for: picture upon picture of men’s curly or wavy hair. We won’t waste your time with more verbiage. Onto the photos!