EA Confirms ‘Stars Wars Jedi: Fallen Order’ Sequel with Mind-Blowing Trailer
Star Wars fans rejoice! The recent Star Wars Celebration 2022 event showed off an impressive amount of upcoming content for fans to get excited for. While most of what was shown and revealed focused on TV content, gamers were blessed with a teaser trailer for a highly anticipated sequel.
You’ll also like:
How to Watch the Star Wars Movies In Chronological Order
25 Best LEGO Star Wars Sets of All Time
Incredible ‘Star Wars Eclipse’ Game Unveiled with Cinematic Trailer
Shared via the official Star Wars twitter account, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor will be coming to PS5, Xbox Series S/X and PC sometime in 2023. The game will serve as a continuation of the 2019 title, Star Wars Jedi: The Fallen Order, with many Respawn Entertainment employees who worked on the original game back for the sequel. While it was already confirmed that a sequel was in the works, it’s great news for fans that they’ll only have to wait a year before they can sink their teeth into the game.
As is the way with teaser trailers, very little was revealed about the game’s narrative or setting. However, it did confirm the return of Fallen Order’s Cal Kestis, the Padawan survivor of Order 66 and the protagonist of the first game. With his droid BD-1 by his side, Jedi: Survivor will most likely continue their conflict with the Empire as they hunt and peruse the few remaining Jedi left in the Galaxy.
“Even before completing Jedi: Fallen Order, our team had a vision of how to carry the adventure for Cal, BD, and the crew into the sequel,” says returning game director Stig Asmussen. “For Jedi: Survivor, we are working in lockstep with Lucasfilm Games to build on the legacy of Jedi: Fallen Order. We’re leveraging advanced technology to create more dynamic Jedi combat and cinematic storytelling to expand on Cal’s story as he matures and survives during the dark times. We can’t wait to share more about the game with the world later this year.”
While many gamers will be excited to see the return of Cal Kestis, much news is being made of the fact that the game was originally going to feature a woman of colour as the lead. This news comes from a series of tweets made earlier this month by Nora Shramek.
Nora Shramek, a game developer who worked on The Fallen Order, revealed that high management rejected the idea to have a woman of colour as the protagonist of the game. She sited that the reasoning for this decision was since the game already featured characters of colour and that the recent Star Wars Trilogy already has a female lead character in Rey.
When I worked on SW:JFO a LOT of devs wanted & advocated 4 the main character 2b black &/or a woman. ‘Reasons’ 4 NO: We already have 2 black people in the game. Rey is a woman & we can’t do that to’ guess what the demographic of the people making those decisions looked like?
— NoraNevaBoreYa 🏳️🌈 (@NoraShramek) May 10, 2022
Star Wars Jedi: The Fallen Order was released on Windows PC, PS4 and Xbox One back in 2019. It was an immediate commercial and critical success thanks to its immersive visuals and fantastic combat mechanics. In a news release about the upcoming title, EA said that they are aiming to “expand on the series’ dynamic combat in new and innovative ways.”