When it comes to the best late night eats in Melbourne, this guide has it all, and for good reason. When it’s late and you’ve been up partying all night and you’re desperate for a hangover crusher before you check in for Sunday brunch with the family. Good news, you’ve found our list of the best late-night eats in Melbourne, our very own city that never sleeps where you can take advantage of the many restaurants and late-night haunts that keep the party going when the clock strikes 12 and serves food till the break of dawn. It’s never too late here to grab a burger, steak or parma so check out the best late-night eats Melbourne has to offer below.
Best of Late Night Eats in Melbourne
- Best for Music: The Toff in Town
- Best for Dietary Restrictions/Preferences: Bodega Underground
- Best for 24/7: Chapelli’s (Open 24 hours from Friday-Sunday).
- Best for Value for Money: Cambodia’s Kitchen
Table of contents
- Best of Late Night Eats in Melbourne
- Key Things to Consider for Melbourne’s Late Night Eats
- Alternatives to Late Night Eats in Melbourne
- How Man of Many Chose this List of Late Night Eats in Melbourne
- Late Night Eats in Melbourne FAQs
1. Bodega Underground
Best for: Dietary Restrictions/Preferences
- Known for: Their variety of tequila and fried chicken. Vegan options.
- Address: 55 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Hours: Tues-Thurs 5pm-12am, Fri 12pm-1am, Sat-Sun 11am-1am
- Phone: (03) 9650 9979
This little underground spot is the perfect place to grab some late-night eats in Melbourne, especially if you’re into Mexican food. Bodega Underground is (as you can probably guess) in a basement, and has you covered for all your favourite Mexican dishes including, octopus tacos, sweet and spicy pork carnitas, prawn ceviche, totopos with guacamole and some of our favourite fried chicken in Melbourne. Not to mention the impressive wall lined with tonnes of mezcals and tequilas.
2. Butchers Diner
- Known for: Awesome cheeseburgers, blood sausage and egg sandwiches.
- Address: 10 Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Hours: Tues-Sat 12pm-12am
- Phone: (03) 9639 7324
If you have a hankering for a late-night burger, head straight on over to Butchers Diner. It’s open until mightnight and offers upstairs second-level dining and a rooftop courtyard. We don’t just come here for the cheeseburgers either, try your hand at the house-made blood sausage and devilled egg roll, 18-hour beef brisket with kohlrabi slaw or the Creole salmon cutlet with rice and greens just to name a few. There are also charcoal grill options, steamed buns and sweet Spanish doughnuts for dessert. Late-night eats are sorted.
Best for: 24/7
- Known for: Late-night Italian food in Melbourne, open 24 hours from Friday to Sunday.
- Address: 571 Chapel St, South Yarra VIC 3141
- Hours: Mon-Weds 6am-3am, Thur 6am-12am, Fri-Sun open 24 hours.
- Phone: (03) 9826 9516
Chapelli’s isn’t just a late-night spot to eat in Melbourne, it’s a full-blown establishment that plasters “We never close” across their restaurant front and even offers breakfast, depending on what end of the morning you’re at. Some say these are the fluffiest pancakes known to man, but if you’re still looking for that evening (or early morning) steak then this is also the perfect spot for a late-night cut of meat. You can get carbonara, lasagne, roasted pumpkin risotto plus pizzas, steak sandwiches, chilli tiger prawns, salads nachos and more. It’s fully licensed also with a nice wine list and classic cocktails.
4. The Toff in Town
Best for: Music
- Known for: Great atmosphere with live music and cocktail selection.
- Address: 2f/252 Swanston St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Hours: Tues 9pm-1am, Wed-Thur 5pm-1am, Fri-Sat 5pm-5am
- Phone: (03) 9639 8770
The Toff in Town bar and kitchen serves up bar food and dinner until 1 am weekdays and 5 am on weekends. It’s the perfect option if you’re looking for tasty late-night eats in Melbourne thanks to a range of Asian and western-inspired dishes like pulled pork with buffalo mozzarella, pepper snapped with green mango salad and Peking duck with snow peas. Best of all, there’s live music and entertainment throughout the week and DJs on Fridays and Saturdays.
5. Bar Ampere
- Known for: ampere burger, variety of drinks
- Address: 16 Russell Place, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Hours: Mon-Sat 3pm-3am, Sun 5pm-3am
- Phone: (03) 9663 7557
This quirky little bar is a hidden gem in the CBD and the perfect spot for some late-night food and drinks. Bar Ampere’s Parisian-esque ambience and impressive range of European aperitifs, absinthe and imported wines and beers all add to its charm. As for food, you can pick up some gourmet burgers like the Ampere burger, a beef patty in a yogurt bun oven roasted with gruyere and spicy tomato relish, or grab some bar snacks with your drinks like prosciutto croquettes, charcuterie or a delicious cheese platter.
6. Cambodia’s Kitchen
Best for: Value for Money
- Known for: Signature Cambodian Noodle Soup.
- Address: 175 Russell St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Hours: Mon-Sun 11am-12am
- Phone: (03) 7003 4349
When on the hunt for a tasty late-night bite, you can’t go past Cambodia’s Kitchen. While other spots in Melbourne CBD have a price tag to match their location, Cambodia’s Kitchen is putting Cambodian street food on the map with a delicious, quick, easy, and cheap menu that includes our must-try Signature Cambodian Noodle Soup ($16.90). With rich rice noodle soup of fragrant clear pork bone broth (think a pork take on a better-known Vietnamese Pho) topped with fresh rice noodles and a variety of toppings it’s out of this world.
7. Lucky Coq
- Known for: Their selection of pizzas. The FUNGUY is our pick of the bunch, who doesn’t love a truffle mushroom?
- Address: 179 Chapel Street, Windsor VIC 3181
- Hours: Wed-Thur & Sun 12pm-12am, Fri-Sat 12pm-3am
- Phone: (03) 9525 1288
Sister to Bimbo Deluxe, Lucky Coq offers the ultimate Sunday pick-me-up, cheap greasy pizza. It’s the place to hang out when you’ve got a hangover but still want to be social. We love the dark and dimly lit atmosphere that offers a cavernous hidey hole to get over the night before. Upstairs it’s a whole other story, the nightclub vibes are strong and we get strong Frankie’s Pizza (Sydneysiders know) vibes, there’s even a dancefloor if you feel a little boogie coming on.
8. Stalactites Restaurant
- Known for: Souvlaki, chicken and lamb gyros
- Address: 177/183 Lonsdale St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Hours: Mon-Thur & Sun 11am-12am, Fri-Sat 11am-2am
- Phone: (03) 9663 3316
As one of Melbourne’s longest-established and locally loved Greek restaurants, you can’t go wrong at Stalactites Restaurant when you’re looking for a late-night bite in Melbourne. While they’ve recently renovated and removed the fire pit from the heyday of the restaurant, we’re pleased to report that the souvlakis are still awesome and the platters to share are full of marinated meat. The traditional Greek soups like the Fasolada, delicious souvlaki wrapped in hot pita bread and homemade moussaka are just some of the culinary delights you can grab on a late night out.
Key Things to Consider for Melbourne’s Late Night Eats
The key factors to keep in mind when deciding where to go:
- Price – How much are you paying for your food.
- Variation – Menu variety and ability to make changes when needed (dietary or preferences).
- Location – Whether that be in the centre of all the action or somewhere quaint and quiet.
Alternatives to Late Night Eats in Melbourne
If you’re looking for other things to do in and around Melbourne, we’ve got you covered with some of the options listed below. You can also check out our list of Fun Thing To Do in Melbourne. If you’re looking for a more specific cuisine, check out our list of Japanese Restaurants in Melbourne or the Best Italian Restaurants in Melbourne. If you’re looking to kick on the next morning and grab some rays, check out our list of the Best Beaches in Melbourne for Surfing and Swimming.
How Man of Many Chose this List of Late Night Eats in Melbourne
When it comes to our list of the best late-night eats in Melbourne, it goes without saying, that expertise is key. While an employee of Man of Many has had the chance to test every restaurant on this list (often thanks to our friends in the industry), they’ve also turned to the wider public for their overall ratings. Man of Many’s lists takes into account three major outlets to determine the overall rating. In addition to their own opinions, they take into account Google reviews, OpenTable reviews, and Zomato reviews.
Late Night Eats in Melbourne FAQs
While many of Melbourne’s restaurants close at around 10pm, there are a number of CBD venues that offer late night eats. These restaurants, such as Forester’s Pub & Dining and Lucky Coq offer dining options until 3am.
For the most part, the Melbourne CBD offers a range of late night places to eat, particularly in areas close to Chinatown.
If you are chasing burgers in Melbourne and it’s after 2am, your options are limited. The best places to score late night burgers are Ferdyduke, Lucky Coq, Bar Ampere and Butchers Diner.