If you’re stuck for fun date ideas in Sydney, look no further. Whether it’s a date night with your long-term partner, or you’re looking to impress a new flame, Sydney has plenty of options (that aren’t just the movies).
But when trying to find fun date ideas – well, there’s a fine line between originality and corny. Don’t stress though because we’ve got you covered for your next big date. From quirky date ideas to romantic date ideas, check out our mega list of fun date ideas in Sydney below for some inspiration.
Table of Contents
- Fun Date Ideas in Sydney
- 1. Take a Boozy Art Class
- 2. Work Up a Sweat While Bouldering or Rock Climbing
- 3. Sink Some Balls at Mini Golf
- 4. Show Your Romantic Side With a Picnic
- 5. Hit Some Bombs at the Driving Range
- 6. Eat at a Secret Dinner Party at Secret Foodies
- 7. Embrace Your Inner Viking Through Axe Throwing
- 8. Sweep your Date off their feet with a Dance Class
- 9. Feel the Adrenaline by Skydiving at iFLY Sydney
- 10. Get Creative a Pottery Class
- Cheap Date Ideas in Sydney
- Date Night Ideas in Sydney
- Daytime Date Ideas in Sydney
- Romantic Date Ideas in Sydney
- Date Ideas in Sydney FAQs
Fun Date Ideas in Sydney
1. Take a Boozy Art Class
A boozy art class is a great date idea that really balances on that line of original without being so out there that it’ll scare them off. These days there are a couple of studios dotted around Sydney. We’re big fans of Brush & Sip, Cork & Chroma and Champainting.
- Location: Brush & Sip
- Address: 547 and 559 King Street, Newtown, NSW 2042
- Phone: N/A
- Location: Cork & Chroma
- Address: 55 Holt Street, Surry Hills, NSW 2010
- Phone: (07) 3558 8430
- Location: Champainting
- Address: 126 Oxford Street, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010
- Phone: 0499 007 234
2. Work Up a Sweat While Bouldering or Rock Climbing
Over the last couple of years, bouldering and rock climbing have skyrocketed in popularity. It’s a great way to work out, easy to do alone or in a small group and a helluva lot of fun. Personally, we reckon it’s one of the best date ideas ever and will definitely make for a memorable one. So, if you’re looking to shake things up, take your new honey to your local climbing gym and get down and dirty.
- Location: BlocHaus Bouldering Marrickville
- Address: 49 Fitzroy St, Marrickville NSW 2204
- Contact: (02) 8065 3299
For a full list of climbing gyms in Sydney, check out our list below.
Featured Video from Man of Many
3. Sink Some Balls at Mini Golf
A number of mini-golf courses have opened up around Sydney over the last few years, our favourite being Holey Moley in Potts Point (you can check out the range of other Sydney locations via the link below). This place knows how to make your night extra special. Offering more than just a mini-golf course, you’ll also find a bar that turns traditional putt-putt into a multi-sensory labyrinth of unique holes. If you’re searching for fun and cute date ideas, this one has the best of both!
- Location: Holey Moley
- Address: 82-94 Darlinghurst Rd, Potts Point, NSW 2011
- Phone: (02) 7201 8316
- Location: Putt Planet
- Address: 1/205/213 Port Hacking Rd, Miranda, NSW 2228
- Phone: (02) 9522 7888
- Location: Thornleigh Mini Golf
- Address: 142-178 Pennant Hills Rd, Thornleigh, NSW 2120
- Phone: (02) 9875 5445
Check out our full list of Sydney’s best mini-golf courses below.
4. Show Your Romantic Side With a Picnic
The secret is out: people love picnics. For a very simple but very romantic date idea, head down to your local lover’s corner at sunset with that special someone. Before you go, pack yourself some cheese, crackers, and maybe some wine, and you’ll be in the good books for sure. Our best picnic spots can be found at these Sydney beaches and lookouts linked below.
5. Hit Some Bombs at the Driving Range
Most fun dates break the ice by having you and company doing something active. So, our next date idea is the good old-fashioned driving range. Whether you’re a newbie or a veteran, a bucket of balls and a couple of clubs is a recipe for a good time. What’s more, if you head to Moore Park Golf Driving Range you can practice your swing under lights.
For a full list of driving ranges in Sydney check out our guide below.
6. Eat at a Secret Dinner Party at Secret Foodies
This is definitely a date night for those who are a bit more outgoing. Secret Foodies allows you to buy tickets for a themed dinner party and then, on the night, you’ll be given a secret location via SMS. Meet new people, taste amazing unique foods and discover new places. It’s one of the most exciting dating ideas in Sydney if you’re after a bit of mystique.
- Location: Secret Foodies
- Address: 300B Glenmore Rd, Paddington NSW 2021
- Phone: 0422 667 488
7. Embrace Your Inner Viking Through Axe Throwing
For a date that they’ll never forget bring your date along to Axe Throwing session. Channel your inner Viking and show your other half your skills as you compete in a one-on-one session. Don’t stress if it’s your first time, they’ll show you the ropes and help you get your groove to make you the best axe thrower possible. If you’re both pretty bold then this is the perfect ice-breaking date night in Sydney.
- Location: Maniax
- Location: St Peters and Marrickville
- Phone: 1300 217 583
- Price: from AUD$49pp
- Location: Kiss My Axe
- Location: Alexandria and Brookvale
- Phone:1300 69 2937
- Price: from AUD$55pp
8. Sweep your Date off their feet with a Dance Class
Impress your date with your dance moves at Swing Patrol or William Maslin dance classes. At Swing Patrol, you can learn everything from the Lindy Hop to Balboa swing dance. If you’re looking for an intimate and exclusive dance night, you can’t go past William Maslin. They’ll include a cheese board, a glass of bubbly, and even teach you a dance to your favourite song! You’re definitely in for a fun night with this date option!
- Location: Swing Patrol North Sydney
- Address: 181 Blues Point Rd, North Sydney NSW 2060
- Phone: 1300 513 474
- Price: from $20pp
- Location: William Maslin Dance Studios
- Address: 8 Spring St, Sydney NSW 2000
- Phone: (02) 9241 3959
- Price: $170 per couple
9. Feel the Adrenaline by Skydiving at iFLY Sydney
For a truly spectacular date that’s perfect for thrill-seekers, iFLY Sydney is the perfect dating idea. The simulated free-fall matches real conditions in a vertical wind tunnel. Get suited up in your very endearing onesies then step into the glass cylinders for an unforgettably fun date.
- Location: iFLY Sydney – Panthers Penrith Rugby Leagues Club
- Address: 123 Mulgoa Rd, Penrith NSW 2750
- Phone: 1300 435 966
- Price: from $119pp
10. Get Creative a Pottery Class
The perfect way to get your hands dirty on a first date. Here you can learn clay throwing, glazing, trimming and more in just a few sessions. Our favourite is ClayGround in Rosebery which offers a date night option every Friday. The other place to go is The Pottery Shed. Each class is held in the beautiful rustic warehouse and they provide everything you need so you just have to show up with your date.
- Location: ClayGround
- Address: 601 Botany Rd, Rosebery NSW 2018
- Phone: (02) 8065 8985
- Price: from AUD$199
- Location: The Pottery Shed
- Address: 7 Nickson Street, Surry Hills 2010
- Phone: 0411 950 409
- Price: from AUD$49
Cheap Date Ideas in Sydney
11. Get Up Close and Personal With a Koala
This is one of the best Sydney date ideas for animal lovers! Get up close and personal with a cuddly koala at WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo. After you’re done you’ll be treated to a hot breaky among nature and a chance to explore the zoo for as long as you like.
- Location: WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo
- Address: 1-5 Wheat Road, Sydney NSW 2000
- Hours: Daily from 11am-3:30pm
- Phone: 1800 195 650
- Price: from AUD$30
12. Take in Cosmos by Stargazing
Learn all about the stars, gazing at the southern sky together at Sydney Observatory. Tours include the planetarium, telescope viewing and a dome tour. See mars, a nebular, the moon and more on this exciting and inexpensive dating idea in Sydney.
- Location: Sydney Observatory
- Address: 1003 Upper Fort Street, Millers Point NSW 2000
- Phone: (02) 9217 0111
- Hours: Mon-Sun 8:30pm-10pm, Fri-Sat 9pm-10:30pm
- Price: AUD$36
13. Get Risqué by Visiting a Nudist Beach
Enjoy nude bathing? Well, we’ve rounded up a list of the best nude beaches in Sydney that double as the perfect cheap date idea in Sydney. Take a skinny dip in the beautiful waters of Lady Bay Beach, or take a picnic at Cobbler’s and take in the scenic harbour views.
14. Watch a Movie Outdoors
Depending on the time of year, there are a number of great venues in Sydney that’ll have you and your date stargazing while watching blockbuster movies under the open sky. For a fun date night that we promise your better half is going to love, check out our list of the best outdoor cinemas in Sydney listed below.
15. Forage for Wild Foods
Forage for your own food with Diego Bonetto’s Foraging Workshops. Through Diego’s extensive and in-depth knowledge of wild food sources, you and your date will learn how to discover edible plants that are all around you every day.
- Location: Diego Bonetto’s Foraging Workshops
- Address: Richardson Crescent, Tempe NSW 2044
- Phone: 0411 293 178
- Price: from AUD$40
16. Go Barefoot Bowling
Now we’re not talking about 10-pin bowling here, because quite frankly that’s for children. Instead, we highly recommend taking your date to the local bowlo and trying a spot of barefoot bowling. The best part? We’ve rounded up the best spots in Sydney.
17. Get Artsy at Your Favourite Gallery
You’d be surprised to know that the Art Gallery of NSW has a pretty incredible collection of artwork on display in the permanent collection (meaning you can take it all in for free). If that’s not a cute date idea then we don’t know what is. You could also head down to the Museum of Contemporary Art in Circular Quay or poke your head into White Rabbit Gallery in Chippendale for a more oriental art experience
If you’re headed out for date night, it’s worth checking out Art After Hours at the Art Gallery of NSW for a truly unique night out.
- Location: Art Gallery of NSW
- Address: Art Gallery Rd, Sydney NSW 2000
- Phone: 1800 679 278
- Hours: Sunday – Saturday 10am – 5pm (Art After Hours from 5:30pm on Thursday)
- Location: Museum of Contemporary Art
- Address: 140 George St, The Rocks NSW 2000
- Phone: (02) 9245 2400
- Hours: Tue-Sun 10am-5pm
- Location: White Rabbit Gallery
- Address: 30 Balfour Street, Chippendale NSW 2008
- Phone: (02) 8399 2867
- Hours: Wed-Sun 10am-5pm
Date Night Ideas in Sydney
18. Take in Dinner and A Show
Is there anything quite like the theatre? Whether you’re after musicals, opera at the Sydney Opera House, theatre or even ballet, there is a myriad of venues across Sydney that make for the perfect spot to take your better half for a romantic dinner and a show.
- Location: Sydney Opera House
- Address: Bennelong Point, Sydney NSW 2000
- Phone: (02) 9250 7111
- Location: Sydney Lyric Theatre
- Address: Pirrama Road, Pyrmont NSW 2009
- Phone: (02) 9509 3600
- Location: The Wharf Theatre
- Address: 15 Hickson Rd, Dawes Point NSW 2000
- Phone: (02) 9250 1777
19. Spook Yourself by Going on a Ghost Tour
There are two ghost tours in Sydney that are sure to have you shaking in your boots. Check out the spooky history of Sydney’s darker days on a haunted ghost tour of The Rocks. The 90-minute guided tour will take you through the past burial pits, haunted hot spots, opium dens and visit a haunted site not open to the general public. Or, if you’re looking for something a bit more extreme, head over to the Quarantine Station in Manly and spend a night in one of Australia’s most haunted sites.
The Rocks Ghost Tour
- Location: The Rocks
- Address: Cadmans Cottage, 110 George St, The Rocks NSW 2000
- Phone: 0456 774 748
- Price: AUD$49
Ghost Tours at the Quarantine Station
- Location: The Quarantine Station
- Address: 1 N Head Scenic Dr, Manly NSW 2095
- Phone: (02) 9466 1500
- Phone: AUD$65
20. Enjoy a Gin Masterclass at Archie Rose Distillery
Treat your date to a blend-your-own-gin masterclass and tour at Archie Rose Distillery. The two of you can become gin blenders for the day and each personalise your very own gin! Over an hour and a half you’ll each create two 200ml bottles of your own signature gin to take home.
- Location: The Cannery
- Address: 85 Dunning Ave, Rosebery NSW 2018
- Phone: (02) 8458 2300
- Price: from AUD$119pp
21. Spend a Night at the Gallery
Every Wednesday the Art Gallery of NSW offers Art After Hours, where you and your date can partake in a gallery tour, live music, drawing workshops, film screenings, lectures and more all jam-packed into one fun date night.
- Location: Art Gallery of NSW
- Address: Art Gallery Rd, Sydney NSW 2000
- Hours: Every Wednesday night until 10pm
- Phone: (02) 9225 1700
Daytime Date Ideas in Sydney
22. Kayak to Me-Mel (Goat Island)
Join the Paddle Pirates team for a Kayaking trip to Me-Mel (Goat Island) in the heart of beautiful Sydney Harbour. Never heard of Me-Mel before? It offers breathtaking views of the Harbour Bridge and city, rare examples of some of Sydney’s finest colonial architecture, along with native bushland. But getting there is half the fun: there’s nothing more romantic than exploring the harbour together, dodging ferries, and creating an unforgettable date on an 8ft long piece of plastic.
- Location: Paddle Pirates Boatshed
- Address: 124 Ferry Rd, Glebe, NSW 2037
- Duration: Four hours
- Price: from AUD$99pp
23. Take a Seaplane or Helicopter Flight Over Sydney Harbour
Really impress your date with a ride in a seaplane or helicopter flight over the beautiful Sydney Harbour, taking in the Sydney Opera House, Northern Beaches, Hawkesbury and Pittwater. With the reopening of Lilypad, Palm Beach’s luxurious floating villa, why not make it a weekend with your significant other?
- Location: Sydney Seaplanes HQ
- Address: Lyne Park, Rose Bay, NSW 2029
- Duration: lasts from 20-30 minutes
- Price: Varies depending on destination, which can be found via the link below.
24. Take in the Serenity by Going Fishing
For an outdoorsy duo, fishing is one of the best dating ideas Sydney has to offer, so we’ve listed some of the best fishing spots Sydney has to offer. While you’re there, why not have a picnic by the water and enjoy the sunset? You might snag yourself a real catch.
Brighton-Le-Sands (Cooks River)
- Type of fishing: Beach
- Expect to find: Bream, Tarwhine, Flathead, Trevally, Snapper
- Best time to go: Early evening
- Rules: Bag size limits apply.
Manly Dam (Manly Vale)
- Type of fishing: Freshwater
- Expect to find: Australian Bass, Silver Perch, Carp, Redfin
- Best Time to go: Sunset
- Rules: Check opening hours before visiting.
Gunnamatta Bay (Port Hacking)
- Type of fishing: Jetty
- Expect to find: Flathead, Whiting, Bream
- Best Time to go: Early morning
- Rules: You’re prohibited from taking any worms, nippers, or shellfish from the area.
For a full list of the best fishing spots in Sydney check out our guide below.
25. Take in the Wonder of Whale Watching
Go whale watching while on a sailboat with Whale Watching Sydney. Operating since 2000, the company offers an unforgettable whale watching experience for you and your date, plus magnificent harbour views. What’s the best time of year to go whale watching? The season starts in mid-May, and humpback whales begin passing Sydney on their northern migration from Antarctic waters. The peak months to sight are the end of June and the beginning of July.
- Location: Whale Watching Sydney – Circular Quay
- Address: Wharf 6, Circular Quay, Sydney NSW 2000
- Hours: Lasts approximately 3 hours
- Phone: 1800 326 822
- Price: AUD$109pp
26. See Sydney from Two Wheels on a Bike-Riding Tour
If you’re not equipped with two bikes and a helmet of your own, you can always just go for a biking tour around Sydney. Check out some of the city’s most iconic landmarks and attractions, take in the harbour, Sydney Opera House, The Rocks precinct, Hyde Park and more. It’s a super fun way for couples to spend a date in Sydney.
- Location: Sydney Harbour Bike Tours Meeting Point
- Address: 169 William St, Darlinghurst NSW 2010
- Hours: Mon-Sun 9am-6pm
- Price: from AUD$118pp
Romantic Date Ideas in Sydney
27. Go On a Walk With a View
Sydney has some of the best and most scenic walking trails in the whole world. So with that at your doorstep, why not take your date on a little stroll around the water taking in the views. Oh, and don’t forget your swimmers.
28. Head Off on a Weekend Getaway
When it comes to the most romantic getaways near Sydney, we’ve rounded up the best from all corners of NSW. Whether you’re looking for Emirates One&Only in Wolgan Valley, Tawillah Luxury Retreat in Milton, or the famous Spicers Sangoma Retreat in the Blue Mountains.
29. Catch Some Live Music at Your Local
Few things get the good times rolling like heading down to your local and watching a band play some music with a few cold drinks. One of the classic Sydney date ideas, we reckon!
30. Get Out of Sydney and Go Camping
Camping is a great option for any couple with an adventurous streak who wants to spend quality time together. Far from one of the best first date ideas, it certainly is a fun way to spice things up. Check out our list of the best beach camping, dog-friendly camping, and—best of all—‘glamping’ listed below.
31. Show Your Cooking Prowess with a Cooking Class
Nothing screams romantic dinner date night like a cooking class. You’ll learn something new while also cooking a meal together – so romantic. We love the VIVE cooking school at The Cannery in Rosebery.
- Location: The Cannery
- Address: 18/61-71 Mentmore Ave, Rosebery NSW 2018
- Phone: 1300 848 388
- Price: from AUD$170pp
Date Ideas in Sydney FAQs
First dates are for getting to know one other. Don’t do anything too crazy, grab a coffee and go for a walk or swim. You can keep things short and sweet leading to an even more adventurous second date.
As with a lot of these things, it depends. It’s always best if things come naturally, don’t go into a date expecting a guaranteed kiss but, usually, fortune favours the bold and if you’re getting the signals then go ahead: kiss the girl.
If you’re looking to go a first date with a guy, try opting for a bar or a daytime coffee date with a swim. If you’re a little further down the road, try something more fun like a boozy painting class or axe-throwing session.
Featured Video from Man of Many