Henry Cavill Confirms He Has Been Dumped as Superman
It’s been a rollercoaster ride of emotions for Henry Cavill fans lately. The upcoming third season of Netflix’sThe Witcher will see the actor’s exit from the franchise, with Liam Hemsworth, set to take over his role as Geralt of Rivia. While unfortunate for his loyalists, the jeers quickly turned to cheers upon the release of The Rock’s contentious superhero flick Black Adam. In an after-credits scene that stunned the world, Cavill reprised his role as the kid from Krypton, sending the internet into a spin. But it turns out, that reveal was just the beginning of a sordid super-split that even the most fervent of DC fans can’t keep up with.
Following the release of Black Adam, Cavill took to Instagram, releasing an official statement that confirm he was returning as The Man of Steel. In a video that has since been liked by over 3.6 million users, the 39-year-old British actor confirmed suspicions, stating “I wanted to make it official — I am back as Superman.”
While it was music to Cavill fans’ ears, it now appears to have been a false alarm. On Thursday, Cavill revealed on Instagram that after a meeting with DC Films’ bosses, James Gunn and Peter Safran, he had been dumped as Superman. The shocking claim suggests that Gunn and Safran have an entirely different vision of the DC universe than previously outlined, putting an end to Cavill’s time in the cape.
“I have just had a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran, and it’s sad news, everyone. I will, after all, not be returning as Superman,” Cavill wrote. “After being told by the studio to announce my return back in October, prior to their hire, this news isn’t the easiest, but that’s life. The changing of the guard is something that happens. I respect that. James and Peter have a universe to build. I wish them and all involved with the new universe the best of luck, and the happiest of fortunes.”
Cavill famously made his debut as Superman in 2013 in Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel, before reprising the role in 2016’s Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and 2017’s Justice League. While those films fell a little flat with comic fans, all three were commercially successful and Cavill’s take as the alien saviour was generally well-received. The news of his comeback, buoyed by the recent hiring of Guardians of the Galaxylead James Gunn was originally meant to signal a return to form for DC, which outside of its Warner Bros.-led Batman franchise, has traditionally struggled with film adaptations.
Join Our Exclusive Community!
Keep up with the latest trends, best stories, and crucial updates from Man of Many direct to your inbox.
In a follow-up series of tweets, Gunn confirmed Cavill’s announcement, revealing that he and Safran are working on an entirely new Superman film. Interestingly, Gunn didn’t rule out the possibility of working with the actor again in the future.
“Peter & I have a DC slate ready to go, which we couldn’t be more over-the-moon about; we’ll be able to share some exciting information about our first projects at the beginning of the new year,” he said. “Among those on the slate is Superman. In the initial stages, our story will be focusing on an earlier part of Superman’s life, so the character will not be played by Henry Cavill. But we just had a great meeting with Henry, and we’re big fans and we talked about a number of exciting possibilities to work together in the future.”
As you’d expect, his followers and celebrity friends are absolutely flabbergasted by the news. Film and TV producer Hiram Garcia wrote under Cabill’s post, “You will always be the Superman of our generation brother. Always.”
Fellow actor Zachary Levi commented: “Hope to catch you in another universe, sir.” Artist Bosslogic added, “We this a damn shame. So sorry to hear this man…… Don’t know what to say.”
Let’s hope the head honchos at DC know what they’re doing…
You’ll also love –‘The Batman 2’ Won’t Hit Cinemas Until 2025