Since we call Sydney our home, we know all too well there are many terrific cafes to sip coffee and stuff your face with amazing food to cure last night’s hangover. In an effort to satisfy all your caffeine and brunch food cravings, we’ve outlined the 50 best cafes in Sydney (in no particular order).
1. The Cross Eatery
Whoever said healthy food never tastes great wasn’t willing to wait out the line at this frequently packed lunch spot. Known for a bounty of colorful salads and unbeatable soups (as well as having Kombucha on tap), The Cross Eatery will keep you coming back for weeks before you try the same thing twice. However, given the somewhat expensive price point you might want to keep this place in your back pocket until the next time your boss says it’s his or her treat. The Cross Eatery might be one of the best cafes in Sydney.
Address: 155 Clarence St., Sydney
Phone: +61 2 9279 4280
Hours: Mon-Fri 7am-4pm
2. Dr. Faustus
Unafraid to get creative, Dr. Faustus is the perfect mix of the comfortably familiar and the completely new. You should expect a menu that has say White Chocolate and Cauliflower Soup on the same page as the BLT. Awww heck, even the BLT is like no other you’ve ever tried so maybe the entire menu falls into that “completely new” category.
Address: 380 Cleveland St., Surry Hills
3. Pig & Pastry
Excelling in savory bacon and sugary goodness, Pig & Pastry is all about the best in breakfast and brunch. If your friends live within 10 miles of this eatery and went out drinking the night before, expect to see them here curing their hangovers one bite of the bacon and egg roll at a time.
Address: 1 Station St., Petersham
Phone: +61 2 9568 4644
Hours: Mon-Fri 7:30am-3pm, Sat-Sun 8am-3pm
If the smell of freshly ground espresso beans isn’t enough to lure you in, then surely the long line will tell you there’s something here worth raving about. That “something” is the espresso and coffee drinks, which are without a doubt the best in the area. If you’re hesitant to wait it out then tell your inner caffeine addict to demonstrate some patience for crying out loud–it will thank you for it after you take your first sip of a piping hot vanilla latte. Pair the latte with a tasty ham and cheese croissant if your inner caffeine addict will allow it.
Address: 4/15 Surf Road, Cronulla
Phone: +61 403 844 533
Hours: Mon-Fri 5:30am-5:30pm, Sat 6am-7pm, Sun 6am-6pm
5. The Nine
If you like your cafes polished, modern and clean, be sure to check out The Nine the next time you’re in Bondi Beach. Expect a fancy menu with some hard-to-pronounce items on it and genuinely exciting flavor combinations. Chase your sustainably sourced avocado tartine with a fresh mimosa and an overwhelming sense of self-satisfaction. The nine might one of the best cafes Sydney has to offer.
Address: 163 Glenayr Ave, Bondi Beach
Hours: Mon-Fri 7:30am-3:30pm, Sat-Sun 8am-3:30pm
Smalltown is committed to quality (and sometimes even healthy) indulgence. Their French toast is to die for and their Big Boy Breakfast Burger is sizable enough to soak up the past month’s worth of alcohol consumption. Everybody also raves about the coffee as being the best in Avalon Beach.
Address: 1, 21-23 Old Barrenjoey Rd, Avalon Beach
7. L’Americano Espresso Bar
A high-end café with a fancy name to match its elegant menu, L’Americano is known primarily for yummy coffee drinks and equally delicious open-faced egg sandwiches. Sure, this might be the place where your rich friend’s mom takes a break from shopping to grab a bite with the gals, but that shouldn’t stop you from trying it.
Address: 30 O’Riordan St., Alexandria
Phone: +61 475 838 106
Hours: Mon-Thu 7:30am-3pm, Fri 7:30am-4pm, Sat-Sun 9am-4pm
8. Daisy’s Milkbar
Go retro and leave full in this big-plated café with a 50s décor. The mac ‘n’ cheese is locally renowned and the milkshakes are delightful. Enjoy a late brekkie/early lunch, try a dessert, and the skip dinner altogether because it will be a while before you’re hungry again.
Address: 340 Stanmore Rd, Petersham
Phone: +61 2 8065 3466
Hours: Wed-Fri 7:30am-3pm, Sat 8:30am-3:30pm, Sun 9am-4pm
9. Brewtown Newtown
This foodie haven/retail space is kind of like a café on steroids. And if you’re having a hard time imagining what that means, allow us to introduce the Elvis burger, a juicy, greasy bacon cheeseburger served on a cronut instead of a bun. To be fair, the menu does give plenty of attention to healthier, delicious options and some killer coffee drinks as well.
Address: 6-8 O’Connell St, Newtown
Phone: +61 2 9557 4908
Hours: Mon-Sun 8am-4pm
10. Salvage Specialty Coffee
Salvage refines the classics with a signature touch. Their menu is rife with utterly delectable variations on familiar classics like smashed ham and cheese toasties. Also, the coffee drinks are spectacular. Salvage might be one of the best cafes in Sydney.
Address: 5 Wilkes Ave, Artarmon
Hours: Mon-Wed 6:30am-4:30pm, Thu-Fri 6:30am-9:30pm, Sat 7:30am-9:30pm, Sun 7:30am-4:30pm
Here are the remaining 40 cafes (in no particular order):
- Brickfields – 206 Cleveland St, Chippendale – brickfields.com.au
- Boon Café – 1/425 Pitt St, Haymarket – booncafe.com
- Cowbell 808 – 618A Bourke St, Surry Hills
- Pablo & Rusty’s – 161 Castlereagh St., Sydney – pabloandrustys.com.au
- Paramount Coffee Project – 80 Commonwealth St, Surry Hills – paramountcoffeeproject.com.au
- Single Origin Roasters – 60-64 Reservoir St, Surry Hills – singleoriginroasters.com.au
- Flour and Stone – 53 Riley St., Woolloomooloo – flourandstone.com.au
- Café Rumah – 71-73 Campbell St, Surry Hills
- Reuben Hills – 61 Albion St, Surry Hills – reubenhills.com.au
- Relish Food Co – 45 Albion St, Surry Hills – relishfoodco.com.au
- Little Jean – 1/1 Kiaora Rd, Double Bay – littlejean.com.au
- Edition Coffee Roasters – 265 Liverpool St, Darlinghurst – editioncoffeeroasters.com
- Gypsy Espresso – 6/81 Macleay St., Potts Point – gypsyespresso.com.au
- Room 10 – 10 Llankelly Pl, Potts Point
- Ruby’s Diner – 1/173-179 Bronte Rd, Waverly – rubysdiner.com.au
- Nelson Road Truck Stop – 60 Bronte Rd, Bondi Junction – nelsonroad.com.au
- Sample Coffee – Suite 1.03/75 Mart St, St Peters – samplecoffee.com.au
- Heritage Coffee Brewers – 1A Lackey St, Summer Hill
- Henri Marc – 2/438 High St., Penrith – henrimarc.com.au
- Cremeria de Luca – 84 Ramsay Rd, Five Dock – cremeria-delucca.com
- Cornersmith – 314 Illawara Rd., Marrickville – cornersmith.com.au
- Two Chaps – 122 Chapel St, Marrickville – twochaps.com.au/
- West Juliett – 30 Llewellyn St., Marrickville – westjuliett.com.au
- Wicks Park Café – 199 Victoria Rd, Marrickville – wickspark.com.au
- Excelsior Jones – 139A Queen St, Ashfield – excelsiorjones.com
- Ritual Coffee Traders – 160 Sailors Bay Rd, Northbridge
- Bay Ten Espresso – 10 Middlemiss St, Lavender Bay – baytenespresso.com.au
- Axil Coffee Co – Kirribilli Wharf, Kirribilli
- Showbox Coffee Brewers – 19 Whistler St, Manly – showboxcoffee.com.au
- Cavalier Specialty Coffee – 34 Oxley, St Leonards
- Avenue Road – 185 Avenue Rd, Mosman
- Oratnek – 4 Pitt St, Redfern – oratnek.com.au
- Scout’s Honor – 118 George St., Redfern
- The Copper Mill – Suite B, 338-356 Mitchell Road, Alexandria – thecoppermill.com.au
- Devon on Danks – 2 Danks St, Waterloo – devoncafe.com.au
- Black Star Pastry – 85-113 Dunning Ave, Roseberry – blackstarpastry.com.au
- Bread and Circus – 21 Foutain St, Alexandria – breadandcircus.com.au
- Mecca Espresso – 2/26 Bourke Rd, Alexandria – meccacoffee.com.au
- The Grounds of Alexandria – 7A/2 Huntley St, Alexandria – thegrounds.com.au
- Little Shenkin – 2a Belmore Rd, Randwick – cafeshenkin.com.au